Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Good News...I'm rich! Proverbs 19:17




"Whoever is kind to the poor, lends to the Lord, and He will reward them for what they have done."



Before we begin to look at the verse for this week, I think it is important for those of us who are reading this to realize just how rich we are. Yes, mentally we understand the fact that most of the world does not live with the luxury that we do...but we are nowhere near the top. In fact, it's easy for us to look at anyone above us with a slight bit of contempt. Even though we might not even vocalize it, some part of us smiles when the rich are brought down. I'm not saying that is right. In fact...it's absolutely wrong and sinful to have an envious spirit like that. However, fight it we must, because the tendency toward that attitude lurks just under the surface.

There's only one problem with that envious line of thinking even if it weren't sinful in and of itself...

I'M ONE OF THE SUPER RICH!

Did you know that I am the 242,608,696th richest person in the world!? That puts me in the top 4.04% of the richest people in the world! I'm not sure exactly how accurate that is, but judging by other statistics that I've seen and heard, I feel like it's pretty close. 

Wanna have some fun? Click here to find out where you rank in the world.

Ok, now that we've had a reality check let's deal with this other issue of who we are definitely not no matter how many times we've stated "I'm starving," or "I'm broke." What about those who actually are poor? Those who are struggling to get enough to eat. Look at this statistic from 2010:
Despite years of progress against hunger, in 2010, it is estimated that 925 million people suffer from hunger. This is due to a sudden spike in global food prices and the onset of a world-wide economic crisis. United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization
Do you know what my reaction to a number as big as 925 million is? I can't comprehend it, therefore I don't react to it. We hear about global poverty all of the time. But that's just the problem. It's global. Even if the Gateses and Buffetts and all of the other 1%ers of the US voluntarily shared their wealth with the poor, would it even make a dent in the lives of 925 million? Probably not. So what could I do with only a small fraction of what they have!? For the entire world? I couldn't even cause a ripple. But I could sure change the path of at least one life. I'm absolutely sure of that.

Now let's talk investments. How is your retirement fund? What does your bank account look like? Have you saved enough for a rainy day? This is not a knock on saving, investing, or being prepared. Other Proverbs give instructions to do just those things. However, when we are talking about the safest investment in the world...it's probably not in a 401k. It's by following Jesus' instructions to lend without expecting to receive anything in return and to give to those who ask (Matthew 5:42, Luke 6:35). The inspired writer of this Proverb (just as a refresher- if the writer is "inspired" it is equivalent to saying that God said it) says that whoever is kind to the poor is "lending to the Lord!" Not only that but "He will reward them for what they have done."  
Are we so foolhardy to think that an investment in the stock market which shows about as much consistency as the weather pattern will give a better return than the God of all creation!?
No, I think the actual problem is that we don't really believe it. 
Either we don't actually believe in God, in the power of God, or that the words he had written in the Bible are actually His words. If we did believe that God is real, that He is as powerful as we say He is, and that the Bible is His word to us then giving to the poor would not be such a burden for us. It wouldn't take a guilt trip of realizing how wealthy we actually are because we would willingly give it away in order to become even more wealthy! That's what this passage means. It's what Jesus' statement about laying up treasures in heaven means. Do we believe it?

I probably can't make much of a difference in the world. After all, I'm "just" in the middle class. But there is absolutely no doubt that you and I can both make a significant impact on the life of at least a handful of people. Let's VOW to keep our eyes open this week for an investment opportunity that God puts in front of us. Let's choose to become richer through Godly investments instead of choosing to protect the immense wealth that we already have. And let's look forward to the reward that God has in store for us.

5 comments:

  1. This statement really bothers me as a follower of Jesus Christ. Psalm 56:11 says, "in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" This tells me that we always have to trust in God no matter what the circumstances are. We the people of the United States vote for the person that is most related to our values and beliefs and that is all we can do. We have to TRUST in GOD that he will help solve the problems in this country and that he will guide the right person for the job. All we can do is vote and pray that whomever leads this country will do the right things. Also, Romney gives 20% of his income to charities for your information. Do your research. Oh yeah, Obama gives 2% of his income to charities as well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well...I guess I should have figured that the first time I would get comments would be when I mentioned political figures even if I wasn't even discussing politics! :) I'm sorry if something I've said offended you. Please let me know what statement it was that bothers you. I couldn't agree with you more about trusting in God. The second comment was correct in that I had no intention whatsoever to make a political statement and was simply stating the fact that it is very easy to envy in some form or fashion those who are more wealthy than we are and to therefore feel like they should be doing more. All I wanted to state was that I can be doing more-whatever anyone else is or is not doing- to help out and that as you said...I can trust God to take care of me. I have no doubt that the Romneys and the Obamas are generous people and have heard those figures. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding and look forward to hearing which statement bothered you as I had no intention of doing anything other than encouraging us to realize the wealth we have and look for ways to share it as the Proverb directs. Perhaps I should have simply used the examples of Warren Buffett and Bill Gates instead. The others were simply the two that are on everyone's mind at the time.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I think Jesus asked the rich young ruler to give ALL that he had. Matthew 19:21
    Nothing said about 20%.

    I think the idea here was to realize our own state of richness and bless others, not political correctness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, man. My comments were in reflection of the first commentator. Thought it was a great article. Loved it!

      Delete
  3. Just to be clear here because somehow or another just the mention of political figures seems to have clouded the issue...

    I have no desire for anyone to be forced or asked to give their wealth away. I have no intention of this blog making political statements one way or another. I do however have every intention of trying to focus thoughts on the words of God as stated in the Bible. The words in question today are about "lending to God" by being kind to the poor. However, it is hard for me to internalize that message until I let go of any idea that I am poor. Let me retract any statements about our presidential candidates. Those were not the point. The point was to say that as a whole we tend to view those above us with at least a small measure of contempt. That is absurd for me to do that especially considering how wealthy and blessed I personally am. I am rich. Therefore, it falls on me to help the poor. In so doing, according to this proverb, I am lending to God who will repay me. That is the only point I am trying to make. It sorrows me that by simply using the two most talked about "rich" people as examples of people I have no right to be jealous of, I have hindered anyone from seeing the truth of the proverb. I will edit the intro to reflect that intent.

    ReplyDelete