Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven- Matthew 5:3




"Blessed are the poor in spirit...





for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 5:3
  What exactly are we supposed to take away from the beatitudes? I've heard most of my life...or at least I've thought all of my life that they were the key to blessing. I've heard taught and preached that "blessed" really means happy, and therefore, the interpretation that has been in my head since I heard them as a boy has been, "you'll be happy if you are poor in spirit." Of course, when we use the word "blessed" it has to be more than just happiness...it is happiness from God Himself. The problem with that interpretation, though, is that first it sounds as if I am being told to actually be "poor in spirit" in order to be blessed, and second, I'm coming to realize now that it has been a subtle teaching that I must do something in order to be blessed by God.

Let me explain why that has always made me a little leary of the beatitudes.

1. If I will find happiness by being, "poor in Spirit" then, what does it mean to be "poor in spirit?" I've heard it taught that it is someone willing to apologize. I've taught that it is about humility. I'm still not convinced those are completely incorrect, but it makes the next one a little harder to get, "Blessed are those who mourn." Wait...if "blessed" means "happy" and the qualities in the beatitudes are qualities I am supposed to strive for, then in essence I'm supposed to strive to mourn in order to be comforted?? Can you see why I've struggled with these?

2. The whole essence of the gospel story is that humans can never do or become anything to deserve God's blessing. Read Ephesians 2 and be reminded of the key role of grace that God really wants us to get. None of us have ever or will ever get into the kingdom of heaven because we do something well enough to gain entrance. We get into the kingdom of heaven "by grace, through faith." It is simply because God wants us to be in the kingdom. Our sins shouldn't allow it, so He planned the sacrifice of of the Lamb of God before the foundation of the world was laid in order to grant entrance into the kingdom to those who could never get in on their own.

As I said before, I don't have a good handle on the beatitudes. I may even switch gears down the road again. But pursue a possibility with me. What if the beatitudes are really factual statements meant to define the kingdom of heaven, instead of teaching to be more poor in spirit, more mournful, more gentle, more hungry and thirsty, more merciful, more pure, more  peacemakerish (I looked it up, and it's actually a word), and more persecuted?

What if Jesus were actually just beginning to expound on his preaching theme up till then that people should "repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" (Mat. 4:17)? The kingdom of heaven is a huge theme in the teaching of Jesus. And one of the biggest hurdles that Jesus needed to cross in getting people to change their thinking was about who is and is not allowed into the kingdom of heaven. 

What if the term, "poor in spirit" actually means "poor in spirit"? What if Jesus is talking about someone who is the lowest of the low? Someone who is "spiritually bankrupt." A sinner. A tax collector. A prostitute. A beggar. Even a pharisee. Today, we might think of a druggie, a rapist, a murderer, or, for some....a televangelist! But the point is, 

WE ARE ALL ALLOWED ACCESS INTO THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN THROUGH FAITH IN THE SON OF GOD!

What if Jesus main point is to simply say, that "yes, even these can be blessed in the kingdom of heaven because the kingdom of heaven is all about reversal." After all, the first shall be last, and the last shall be first, and the greatest in the kingdom must become a servant to all.

I'm not sure I'm convinced that this interpretation is correct...but it seems to make the beatitudes more understandable than my previous attempts at interpretation. Either way, the principle is still true and it is one that is purposely planted all throughout the gospels. That principle is that the kingdom of heaven is for all. So how will that change the way you look at the worst person you come into contact with this week? After all, if Jesus said they could be blessed and that the kingdom of heaven belongs to them, will we let them know?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the beatitudes. Am I way off track? Does the principle still hold true? For more in-depth (and better laid out!) thoughts on viewing the beatitudes this way, read the 4th chapter of Dallas Willard's The Divine Conspiracy. In the meantime, start the discussion below.

p.s.- I hope you know that I didn't in fact look up "peacemakerish" and that I'm fairly convinced it is not in fact a real word. But if you looked it up and found out it is, I'd love to hear that! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment