Monday, October 7, 2013

Don't Worry; Be Happy- Matthew 6:27.

 

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?"

Matthew 6:27


No.

It's about that simple. The answer is "no, there is not a single person in the world that is capable of accomplishing or changing anything through worry alone." Of course, I didn't need to point that out because it is an obvious rhetorical question. At least our brain knows that. Our hearts sometimes take a little longer to understand it. We feel like if we are not worrying about it then we are just being careless and reckless.

It's important to point out-- and both commentators that I read did-- that Jesus in no way negates the responsibility to work and provide for our families. There are other scriptures that spell out very plainly the duty of working for food, shelter, and clothing (1 Timothy 5:8).  Jesus simply states that stressing out over those things and continuing to stew over them after we have done everything we can do simply won't change one iota about what actually happens!

When you think about it, it's actually pretty freeing. After all, if I can finally realize that ultimately God is responsible for whether my family eats today or not, then I am relieved of the pressure. If I have done my best and trusted in Him, then it is no longer in my hands any more than the crop that grows in the field is in the hands of the farmer who has diligently planted, cultivated, and watered. Beyond that, there's not much he can do. It's up to God to make it grow!

So are we talking about a "don't worry, be happy" mindset?
Well, I'd say it depends on what you mean by that. 

Are you following the philosophy of the song that is missing the dependence of God and acting like problems don't exist when they actually do? I believe that philosophy is incorrect. It denies reality and in so doing puts the person living it out and those who depend on him/her in jeopardy because they are not living prudently.

But if what you mean by "don't worry, be happy" is that you can't "add a single hour to your life by worrying," so just do what you can do in accordance with God's will and then enjoy the life that God gives you knowing that whether you receive abundant blessings or few (relatively speaking in terms of others around you and in the world) you most certainly will receive infinite and eternal blessings in the heavenly places if you have walked through this life trusting God. And I'm talking about a trust that is not just for salvation, but also for food and clothing, and guidance, and relationships. In fact, "What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived— the things God has prepared for those who love him"(1 Corinthians 2:9).

I don't know about you, but if I could keep the things God has prepared for those that love Him in the front of my head all of the time even in the stressful situations, then I'm pretty sure I could live with a "Don't worry, be happy" philosophy! The problem is that we just forget those blessings and focus on the problems.

I remember hearing a comment from a mom after a sermon on worry. "Great," she said, "now I'm worried and feel guilty about being worried!"

I don't think that's what Jesus had in mind for his disciples when he gave the instruction! :) 

I do think He came "that they may have life, and have it to the full" (John 10:10). I have to think that a "full life" ("abundant life" in some translations) included a life free of worry. Not because there are not legitimate needs. Not because there are no worrisome events. But because we recognize our human weakness and inability to change some outcomes. Therefore, why worry? And then, in surrendering to that realization, we acknowledge that while we are impotent in the face of some things, God is eternally omnipotent. And He is our Father. 

No matter how "adult" we feel and no matter how many people depend on us because we are "responsible," in the end, we are all completely and utterly dependent. But we are dependent on Him. And that is a good thing. In fact, it really makes me want to start whistling and singing, "Oooh, oooh ooh ooooh, ooh ooh ooh ooh, Don't worry, be happy."

What a great day it will be when Christians are the one's spreading that message based on a real confidence in God instead of leaving it to Bob Marley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment