Monday, November 12, 2012

A Warning for those With Authority- Proverbs 22:8

"Whoever sows injustice reaps calamity, and the rod they wield in fury will be broken."

Proverbs 22:8


The principle of the harvest is scattered all throughout the Bible. It is an incredibly simple truth that is applied both negatively, as in the case above, and positively, as in "he who sows generously (as in the case of giving) will also reap generously" (2 Cor. 9:6). In the passage above, it is applied to those with authority. I wasn't sure of that until I cross-referenced the word for "injustice" to find the other ways it is used in the Bible because in some translations it is translated as "iniquity" or "perverseness." I think the use of the word "injustice" works much better because in every instance that the word is used in which you can determine the context outright from the text, it is dealing with leaders abusing their powers for their own gain in some form or another. The truth of the proverb is very simple for us today. If we are unjust to those we have authority over or those we try to exert authority over, we will eventually be served what we deserve- calamity.

Just take a minute to look at the picture above. It makes me cringe, doesn't it you? There are very few people in this world who honestly enjoy seeing someone who is helpless being taken advantage of or abused. I think that is because each of us has a moral compass placed in us by God that makes blatant shows of injustice absolutely infuriating. The problem, though, is that each one of us has an easier time seeing the injustices of others than we do of ourselves. I have a theory that people don't think they are actually being unjust. They are simply doing what they think is necessary for the greater good.  
  • If my child refuses to obey, then I need to do what I must to teach them to respect authority so they are not in prison down the road.  
  • If my students don't respect my authority, no one will learn anything. Therefore, I am justified in making an example of one or two students. 
  • I know the most efficient way of doing something and if my employees or coworkers disagree, they might lead us down the wrong track. Therefore, manipulation, threats, deception, and forcefulness is simply what is necessary for all of us to achieve our goals.

In other words, what if we are blind to our own injustices because after all, 

the end justifies the means?

While those in authority (parents, teachers, bosses, managers, etc.) have a Godly duty to discipline, correct, train, and lead and punishment or rebuke is sometimes necessary, may each of us VOW to scrutunize not those over us (bosses, government, parents, leaders), but those under us (children, employees, coworkers, students, servers) and honestly determine whether injustice is or is not occurring at our own hands. After all, God is not one to lie. If we are the source of injustice, eventually the rod (i.e.- authority) with which we are wielding our injustices WILL BE BROKEN and the end that has supposedly justified all of our means, will actually turn out to be calamity. I don't know about you, but I would much rather lay that rod down in obedience to God than to have it taken from me and broken because of my disobedience. And for anyone who is reeling from the rod of someone else's injustice, let me offer one more passage that I stumbled upon today while cross-referencing the word for "injustice."

The scepter of the wicked ["unjust"] will not remain over the land allotted to the righteous, for then the righteous might use their hands to do evil.

Psalm 125:3

Take comfort in the fact, that whatever it seems like today, God is actually the one in control. We feel injustice so acutely in the moment because it seems like the wrongs will never get righted in our lifetime. But God's reign is much longer than all of our lives put together. He is in control. He always will be. And that remains true even while I, or anyone else, is claiming control by swinging an unjust rod with all of our fury.

No comments:

Post a Comment